COVID-19 PANDEMIC: LEGAL ISSUES FOR HAWAII BUSINESSES
The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in widespread federal, state, and local action to control the spread of the virus and protect the health and safety of the people of Hawaii. Governmental action that has included business closures, stay-at-home and work-from-home orders, social distancing requirements, and mandatory quarantining for those visiting or returning to Hawaii (and most recently, those flying inter-island) have wreaked havoc on Hawaii businesses. Very few businesses have avoided the severe adverse effects of these actions and for many Hawaii businesses the COVID-19 pandemic is proving to be devastating.
The Partners and Associates of Bays Lung Rose Holma are here to help you and your business navigate many of the legal issues you are being forced to face during these challenging times. We have created this space to serve as a resource to our clients and our community, and will continue to add to the articles and references below as new information becomes available and as new issues and problems arise. In some cases, the identified links below will send you to other sources of information that are updated by government and healthcare organizations. Nothing provided on this site or in the materials referenced and/or linked below can or should be considered legal advice, and your downloading or use of any of these materials does not create an attorney-client relationship. We are available for consultation and representation of you and your business and welcome your inquiry at (808) 523-9000 or email@example.com.
• Force Majeure and the Covid-19 Pandemic: What You Should Know. This article provides a practical approach and considerations for examining the force majeure clauses in business contracts, leases, loans, and other commercial agreements, including five things to consider about COVID-19 and the applicability of a force majeure clause in a contract.
• Rent Deferral Requests: Primary Considerations for Landlords. This article provides a detailed list and description of important considerations for commercial landlords facing rent deferral requests from their tenants.
• Real Estate and Business Transactions in a COVID-19 World. This article provides information and explanations as to how business and real property transactions in Hawaii can continue and what you need to plan for to enable a transaction to close.
• The CARES Act: Payroll Protection Plan. This article provides a summary of the Payroll Protection Plan component of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) enacted on March 27, 2020, including eligibility, the application process, the loans available and potential benefits including loan forgiveness opportunities.
• Hawaii State and County Information on COVID-19. This memo provides links to the primary Hawaii state and county government and healthcare-related websites to find up-to-date information on the COVID-19 pandemic and government proclamations, mandates, orders, and recommendations.