Craig P. Wagnild
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: (808) 523-9000
Fax: (808) 533-4184
Craig Wagnild is a former President of the Hawaii State Bar Association and currently serves as chair of the firm’s Transactional Law Department. He has been ranked by his peers as one of Honolulu’s Top Attorneys and been named to Best Lawyers in real estate and business law practice areas, being awarded Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in 2014. Mr. Wagnild has been practicing law in Hawaii for 19 years and is fluent in written and spoken Japanese.
Mr. Wagnild’s transactional law practice emphasizes real estate and business transactions, real estate development, land use, acquisition and project financing, commercial leasing, business entity (corporations, LLCs, joint ventures, etc.) formation, sale and acquisition of companies and businesses, and general business advice and representation. Some of Mr. Wagnild’s significant transactions have included.
Real Estate Transactions
Acquisition of the Maui Lu Hotel Property (Maui). Represented Capbridge Pacific LLC, the subsidiary of a large Japanese real estate investment firm, in the joint venture financed acquisition of the Maui Lu Hotel property in Kihei, Maui. The acquisition included assignments of existing entitlements and development rights to permit the redevelopment of the property into a Hilton-flagged timeshare resort. Continues to represent Kupono Partners LLC in the ongoing development of the property.
Acquisition of 2113 Kalakaua Avenue Property (Oahu). Represented international clients in 2015 with the financed acquisition of this commercial shopping center in Waikiki which included the assignment of large national tenant leases.
Acquisition of Maui Lani Property (Maui). Represented Gentry Homes, Ltd. in the acquisition of approximately 46.7 acres of undeveloped real property located in the Maui Lani Community in 2015, which included easements, development rights, entitlements and other rights and approvals necessary to develop a planned residential community.
Acquisition of Mac Farms of Hawaii (Big Island). Represented Buderim Ginger Limited, an Australian publically-held corporation, in the structured asset acquisition of Mac Farms of Hawaii which included the sale of all assets, inventory and intellectual property rights, the leasing of over 4,000 acres of macadamia nut orchards together with a processing plant, the transfer of over 50 managers and employees, and the formation, structuring, licensing and permitting of a new Hawaii entity (MacFarms, LLC) to take title to this business. Recently represented MacFams, LLC with the acquisition of the leased-fee interest and on-going business matters.
Real Estate Financing
Development Financing for 7000 Hawaii Kai. Represented Hanwha Hawaii LLC and Hale Ka Lae, LLC in securing approximately $100 million in development financing from two separate lenders in a simultaneous closing that involved a traditional mortgage loan and mezzanine financing, in connection with the 7000 Hawaii Kai project.
Acquisition Financing for Maui Lu Hotel. Represented Capbridge Pacific, LLC through its joint venture entity Kupono Partners, LLC in securing CMBS financing for its acquisition of the Maui Lu Hotel property from a large commercial financing company.
Kalaeloa Commercial Leases. Represent Hunt Development Company in the preparation and negotiation of retail and industrial leases for 100+ acres of property owned in Kalaeloa.
Plaza at Milltown. Represented Avalon Development Company in the preparation of comprehensive retail and office space leases for a commercial project in Waipahu.
Kapolei Pacific Center. Represented Kapolei 64, LLC in preparing comprehensive retail and office space leases for a new phased commercial project in the City of Kapolei.
Tenant Leases. Represented both large and small commercial tenants in connection with the review and negotiation of new leases, rent renegotiations, lease disputes, and lease termination/cancellation matters.
Corporations, LLCs and Business Entities
Formation. Formed hundreds of business entities and single-member single purpose entities (SPEs) in connection with real estate transactions.
Advising. Provide advice and assist clients with the formation of entities that address a variety of complex management, ownership and control situations, including but not limited to SBA Section 8A qualifying entities, Act 215/221 companies, and 501(c)(3) and (6) non-profit corporations.
Teaching. Served as co-Editor-in-Chief and co-author of the Hawaii Business Entity Forms Manual (HSBA 2007), which provides the forms and directions to assist attorneys helping clients to select and form the most appropriate business entities. Also prepared and taught numerous seminars on business entity formation, structuring, ownership, management, and dissolution.
Mr. Wagnild resides in Kaneohe with his wife and two boys. He started his law practice in Hawaii at the firm now known as Lung Rose Voss Wagnild in 1997, and has been a partner and chair of the Transactional Law Department at the firm since 2005.
- Co-author: Limited Liability Companies, NBI (2015)
- Co-author: Hawaii Construction Law: From Start to Finish, Lorman (2012), (2013) and (2014)
- Co-Editor-in-Chief and Co-Author: Hawaii Business Forms Manual HSBA (2007)
- Co-author: Current Issues in Land Use Regulation in Hawaii, NBI (2008)
- Co-author: Land Use Law: Current Issues in Subdivision, Annexation and Zoning, NBI (2009)
- Author: Top 5 Do’s and Don’t’s to Succeed in Real Estate Transactions in Hawaii, Pacific Business News (2006)
- Co-author: Road and Access Law: Researching and Resolving Common Disputes, NBI (2006, 2009 & 2011)
- Co-author: Title Examination in Hawaii, Lorman (2006) and (2008)
- Co-author: Hawaii Boundary Law: Critical Issues Every Practitioner Needs to Know, NBI (2005)
- Co-author: How to Obtain Good Title in Hawaii Real Estate Transactions, NBI (2005)
- Co-author: How to Litigate Undisclosed Defects in Real Estate Transactions, NBI (2003)
- Author: Civil Law Discovery in Japan: A Comparison of Japanese and U.S. Methods of
Evidence Collection in Civil Litigation, 3 Asian-Pac. L. & Pol'y J. 1 (2002)
- Adjunct Professor of Japanese Law, University of Hawai'i School of Business Executive MBA Program (2002-2011)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Hawai'i State Bar Association
- President (2013)
- President-Elect (2012)
- Vice President (2011)
- Treasurer (2009, 2010)
- Chair, Consumer Protection Committee (2011)
- Chair, Finance Committee (2009 - 2010)
- Member, Executive Committee (2009 - 2013)
- Board Member (2009 - 2013)
- Member, Leadership Committee (2009 - 2013)
- Liaison, ABA International Law Section (2004, 2005)
- Hawai'i State Bar Foundation
- Founding member/director (2013-14)
- Director (2016)
- Treasurer (2017)
- Washington State Bar Association
- HSBA International Law Section
- Treasurer (2007-08)
- Chair (2002-06)
- HSBA Business Law Section
- Chair (2007-08)
- Treasurer (2005-06)
- Member, Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- Member, NAIOP Commercial Real Estate Development Association
- Member, Japan-America Society of Hawai'i
- President, Hongwanji Mission School Parent-Teacher Organization (2010-2012)
- Director, Honolulu Foundation (Non-profit Hawai'i corporation)
- Director, Calvary Episcopal Preschool and Daycare (2007-2010)
- Best Lawyer, Real Estate Law and Business Organizations, Best Lawyers (2015)
- Lawyer of the Year, Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Best Lawyers (2014)
- AVVO Rating 10.0 – Top Attorney (Real Estate)
- Forty Under 40 Award Recipient, Pacific Business News, May 2005
- Outstanding Volunteer Award, Hawaii State Bar Association, Jan. 2005