Kristin Shinkawa is an associate in the firm’s litigation department. Her areas of practice include commercial litigation, personal injury litigation, real estate litigation, construction litigation, employment litigation, and administrative law. Ms. Shinkawa has represented clients in civil litigation disputes and other complex legal matters in state and federal court, administrative proceedings, mediation, and alternative dispute resolution proceedings. A sample of Ms. Shinkawa’s work while at Bays Lung Rose Holma includes:
- Represented a corporation and its officers against claims brought by a purported investor against breach of contract, misrepresentation, conversion, security fraud, breach of fiduciary duties, and Hawaii Revised Statutes Chapter 480 claims. Case resolved out of Court.
- Represented a large landowner in a dispute involving the ownership of several acres of land in Laie. Case resulted in a favorable judgment awarding declaratory and monetary relief for the client and significant sanctions levied against the opposing party.
- Represented the owner of an affordable housing development in various summary possession matters.
Personal Injury Litigation
- Represented a prominent Hawaii news organization against false light, defamation, negligence, emotional distress, and loss of consortium claims brought by a man whose photograph was aired during a broadcast on a morning news program. Case resolved out of Court.
- Represented a national youth group organization against sexual abuse claims brought under Hawaii Revised Statutes § 657-1.8, which reopened the statute of limitations for such claims. Case resolved out of Court.
- Represented a homeowner in a case involving construction defect claims against the general contractor. Case resolved favorably out of Court.
- Represented a design professional in a case involving construction and design defect claims brought by a developer of a warehouse project. Case resolved out of Court.
Ms. Shinkawa is a 2012 graduate of the University of Hawaii, William S. Richardson School of Law, where she served as a Comments Editor, Staff Writer, and member of the Publication Committee for the University of Hawaii Law Review. While in law school, Ms. Shinkawa also clerked for the Honorable Leslie E. Kobayashi, U.S. District Court, District of Hawaii (2012) and the Honorable Karl K. Sakamoto of the First Circuit Court, State of Hawaii (2010).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hawaii State Bar Association, Member