Jean K. Campbell
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: (808) 523-9000
Fax: (808) 533-4184
Jean Campbell's experience in real property transactions runs the gamut from large hotel developments, residential apartment buildings and office buildings to large agricultural and development acreage. Her practice includes acquisition and sale, permitting and land use entitlements, subdivision and condominium development, planned community development, commercial leasing, alternative energy projects and conservation easements.
Ms. Campbell's experience with condominiums and planned communities includes the conceptualization and drafting of complete project documents, including declarations, disclosure documents, bylaws, sales documents and brokerage agreements. She coordinates work with other consultants such as surveyors, environmental consultants and title companies and she works with utilities and the counties to provide necessary services to projects. She trains sales teams and handles matters relating to conveying units and lots to purchasers. Ms. Campbell's development work has included the Park Lane condominium project at Ala Moana Shopping Center, a 126 unit Big Island resort condominium, various other resort, residential, agricultural and industrial condominium projects, and the conversion of a Diamond Head cooperative apartment building into a condominium.
Ms. Campbell's real estate acquisition and sale practice covers the entire process from negotiating and drafting purchase and sales documents, conducting due diligence investigations, including coordinating other professionals and consultants, directing closing and completing post-closing matters and project management. Ms. Campbell's transactions have included the sale of a Kapiolani Boulevard office building, 4,800 acres of working agricultural land in Ka'u, a Waikiki office building, Maui and Big Island hotels and golf courses, and a Honolulu shopping center, among others.
Ms. Campbell has negotiated and drafted commercial leases on behalf of both landlords and tenants. Ms. Campbell has negotiated alternative energy options and leases for solar, wind, geothermal and other alternative energy projects on behalf of landowners. Ms. Campbell's conservation easement work includes large tracts of land on Oahu's leeward side and north shore as well as the Big Island.
Ms. Campbell co-developed and taught a course on Real Estate Transactions in Environmental Conservation at the William S. Richardson School of Law and also taught legal writing to first year law students. Her article, "Where's the Beach?: Drawing a Line in the Sand to Determine Shoreline Property Boundaries in the United States and the Resulting Conflict Between Public and Private Interests." was the inaugural publication of the He Mau Moolelo Kanawai o ka Aina Series, in Summer 2000.
Ms. Campbell was born and raised on Oahu and graduated from Puhahou School. She taught English at Chaminade University prior to attending law school at the William S. Richardson School of Law at the University of Hawaii, Manoa.
Representative Projects & Clients
- Condominiums and Planned Communities:
- Park Lane Condominium, Ala Moana Shopping Center, Honolulu – AMX Partners
- Marconi Point Condominium, Kahuku – Makai Ranch
- Kolea Condominium Villas, Waikoloa, Hawaii - Centex Homes
- Kukio and Maniniowali - WB Kukio
- Hokuli'a - 1250 Oceanside Partners
- Seabreeze Apartments - Seabreeze Apartments Inc.
- Kealia Kai and Moloaa Condominium - Kauai Ranch
- Waiakea Villas - Waiakea Villas LLC
Real Property Transactions
- Maui Lu Hotel – purchase on behalf of Capbridge Group
- One Kapiolani - sale on behalf of CUNA Mutual Investments
- McCully Shopping Center - sale on behalf of McCully Associates
- 4,800 acres of macadamia orchards, Ka'u - purchase on behalf of ML Macadamia
- 2,000+ acres of agricultural property, Ka'u - purchase on behalf of Windwalker
- Wailea Marriott and Waikoloa Beach Marriott - purchase and sale on behalf of Blackstone Real Estate Advisors
- "Where's the Beach?: Drawing a Line in the Sand to Determine Shoreline Property
- Boundaries in the United States and the Resulting Conflict Between Public and Private Interests." He Mau Moolelo Kanawai o ka Aina Series, Summer 2000
- City and County of Honolulu Clean Water and Natural Lands Commission,
- Historic Hawaii Foundation, Board of Directors, Past President
- The Outdoor Circle, former Board Member and Secretary
- Daughters of Hawaii, Lifetime Member