Adrian L. Lavarias
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: (808) 523-9000
Fax: (808) 533-4184
Mr. Lavarias joined the firm as an associate in 2006 and became a partner in 2014. Mr. Lavarias’ areas of practice include construction litigation, personal injury litigation, real estate litigation, trusts and estates litigation, and commercial litigation.
Mr. Lavarias graduated summa cum laude from the William S. Richardson School of Law. During law school, Mr. Lavarias worked as a summer associate with the firm. Mr. Lavarias also worked as an extern to the Honorable Susan Oki Mollway of the United States District Court for the District of Hawaii, the Honorable Michael D. Wilson of the First Circuit Court, State of Hawaii (now an Associate Justice of the Hawaii Supreme Court), and the University of Hawaii General Counsel’s office. Mr. Lavarias also served as a member and casenotes editor of the University of Hawaii’s Law Review and was a member of the Delta Theta Phi legal fraternity.
Mr. Lavarias is a graduate of the University of Hawaii at Manoa’s College of Business Administration, where he obtained a degree in Finance. During his undergraduate studies and during law school, Mr. Lavarias also worked as a student assistant to the Athletics Director at the University of Hawaii.
Examples of Mr. Lavarias’ cases include:
- Represented general contractor in seeking a $29 million mechanics’ and materialman’s lien against a Maui Hotel. Matter was settled out of Court.
- Represented general contractor in recovery of damages from the State of Hawaii stemming from project delays and inadequate project designs for the Hilo Judiciary. Case settled out of Court.
- Represented general contractor in claim by Waikiki condominium penthouse unit owner for excessive noise from rooftop mechanical room. Matter was settled out of Court.
- Represented mechanical design contractor against defective design claims brought by condominium homeowner’s association. Case was settled following a mini trial in the First Circuit Court. Mini trial jury returned defense verdict in favor of mechanical contractor.
Real Estate Litigation
- Represented large landowner in dispute over ownership of dozens of acres of land in Laie. Case resulted in declaratory and monetary judgments in favor of the client and significant sanctions being levied against the opposing party.
- Represented landowner in dispute with the Department of Health over the alleged operation of an unpermitted dumpsite on its property.
- Represented commercial lessee in lease rent arbitration against property owner. Arbitration resulted in a favorable decision for lessee, saving lessee several million dollars over term of the lease period.
- Represented developer in litigation against former landowner and County over affordable housing credits. Case settled out of court prior to trial.
Trusts and Estates Litigation
- Represented Trustees of the estate of the late Hawaii entertainer Don Ho against claims brought be beneficiaries to set aside trust and for recovery of damages from Trustees. Case settled out of court resulting in preservation of trust and release of all claims against Trustees.
- Represented interested party seeking removal of emergency conservator in a highly contested conservatorship and guardianship action. Case resulted in removal of the emergency conservator and appointment of the client as conservator.
- Represented Trustee/Beneficiary of a family trust against claims brought by his sibling to prevent the pending sale of trust assets. Case settled out of court and resulted in sale of trust assets.
- Advised and represented Trustees, Beneficiaries, and Personal Representatives regarding various fiduciary duty claims and estate administration matters.
Personal Injury Litigation
- Represented a prominent Hawaii private school and a national youth group organization against separate sexual abuse claims brought under Hawaii Revised Statutes § 657-1.8, which reopened the statute of limitations for such claims.
- Represented landowner against claims brought by minor and family of minor for injuries allegedly sustained when minor was assaulted by third party on landowner’s property. Case settled out of court.
- Represented general contractor in claims brought against homeowners for defamation and injury to business reputation. Homeowner’s insurance company paid $1 million to settle case.
- Represented condominium owner against AOAO in action involving the recovery of damages sustained due to water intrusion into owner’s penthouse condominium. Matter settled out of court favorably for owner.
- Represented large multi-national company in injunction proceeding against former employee arising from threats of workplace violence. Case resulted in permanent injunction in favor of client and former employee being barred indefinitely from contacting company employees or entering company property.
- Represented various contractors and design professionals in breach of contract and payment claims seeking recovery of unpaid amounts under various contracts.
- Delta Theta Phi Legal Fraternity
- Hawaii State Bar Association – Litigation Section
- Hawaii State Bar Association – Probate and Estate Section
- Hawaii Filipino Lawyers Association
- CAAP Arbitrator